7.16.2012

Couture Fall 2012 Roundup, Day 3

Armani Prive
I'll be honest, Armani is not really my thing. Yes, the clothes are beautiful, but they seem more suited to a women 20-30 years my senior. That being said, there were pieces I liked, the dusk prints and colors being one of them. The evening dresses are a little more my style than the suits, that is to say, if I had an occasion to wear those dresses to every night. I loved the beading, in particular on the headpieces, which were spectacular, in a nun-ish sort of way.


Givenchy
I know I might be hunted and burned at the stake for saying this, but I didn't love Givenchy as much as I normally do. It seemed a bit heavy, though I guess that is appropriate for the winter in...the native americas? That's what the fur and red coat would be perfect for, at least. Givenchy always seems so light, despite the pounds of beading I'm sure are on it, and even if the fabric is a darker color. This Givenchy seemed heavier, not as sort of sicily beautiful, though still gorgeous, of course. When one imagines the amount of houses spent stringing every last bead onto that ombre shirt, it's a little dizzying. The sheer amount of work in inspiring and a little painful, but makes the clothes that much better, right?


Jean Paul Gaultier
JPG is never pretty, rather, it is always cool, edgy, and a little avant grade. Menswear is always an influence, and this season it was boxier but still fluid. The only couture show to show mens, the collection was full of black with a little more color in the middle, exotic skins, and other luxe materials like velvet and fur. There was some influence from the 20's around the middle, complete with beading and fringe.
I must ask myself, though, why we need a dress covering every area of the body but the boobs? Why do we need just one piece with yellow fur, bring it on. Why do we need men in skirts and capes and sheer pants? Why turbans? Why no more corsets (apart from a few)? Why so much pouting from Lindsey and fierceness from Karlie? Why indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment