5.04.2011

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

If you live in New York, and haven't yet been to see Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty - what are you doing with you life?! I was lucky enough to get a sneak peak yesterday, but the exhibit opened today to the public and is only open until July 31, so you better get yourself to the Met stat.


This exhibit literally took my breath away. I was expecting it to be very emotional and extraordinary, but it completely exceeded my expectations. As many of you know, McQueen is my absolute favorite designer, and being able to be within inches of his pieces was such an incredible feeling.


Not only are the clothes and accessories beautiful, the way the exhibit is laid out is quite beautiful as well. Without giving away too much, I will just say that between the mannequins, the headpieces, the lighting, the music, the displays, and the rooms just about made this experience. Ok, so I could have looked at his clothes thrown on the ground and I would probably be just as excited, but you get the point.


Unfortunately, photos are not allowed inside the exhibit. But in the true spirit of McQueen, who defied just about every rule of everything ever, I snapped away (at least until I got told to put my camera away, which after doing so I promptly took it out again, out of the guards eyesight. Unfortunately, this whole guard nonsense hindered my picture taking, so I only got a portion of the outfits)


So take a look, and, seriously, get your butt to this exhibit as fast as your little legs can carry you. And then take home the postcards, calendar, journals, scarves, purses, pencils, mini-shoes, and book that they have for the exhibit (I did).


RIP
Lee Alexander McQueen

For more information, or if you can't make it but still want to see all the pieces and what not, look no further than the Museums very own McQueen page

No comments:

Post a Comment